Hey loves! This is my first hair blog post. I get quite a few questions about my curly hair, so what better way to start off than with the Curly Girl Tag!
1. What inspired you to go natural or wear your hair curly?
Growing up, I had a lot of insecurities about having big, curly hair. No one really had hair like mine, and I felt embarrassed to leave it out. Now, seeing all the natural beauties embracing their curls makes me appreciate my hair and I wouldn’t change it for a thing!
2. Who are your favorite curly hair idols?
Bwatuwant – her hair is beautiful!!
3. Which YouTube curly would you trade curls with for a day?
Definitely SunKissAlba. Her hair journey is amazing, and I really admire her persistence to go-natural for all of these years, embracing her curls.
4. If you could have only one product for a year, which product would you chose?
I would choose Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It does wonders for my hair and really helps to define my curl pattern.
5. If you could change one thing about your curls what would it be?
The shrinkage. It’s something all us curly hair girls deal with, but the shrinkage is real! Especially at the back (nape of my neck). People are always amazed when I flat-iron my hair like, “How’d you get such long hair?!”
This is not my hair. Picture for illustration purpose.
6. What's the craziest thing you've tried on your "natural hair journey"?
Thin my hair out. The day before a big event in 2017, I had my hair cut (which I never do btw, I always trim it myself). Now mind you, I had no idea this guy was going to thin my hair out. He’s like “We’ll get rid of that triangle look (curly hair girls, you know what I’m talking about!) by adding layers and blah blah blah…”. He ended up cutting A LOT of hair off and proceeded to flat iron my hair. Everything looked fine, until a couple of days later I wash my hair and it was so thin and short, it could hardly fit in a bun. Long story short…Never will I ever get my hair cut by someone else. It’s still in the process of growing out.
7. What's your secret ingredient that your curls LOVE the most?
My curls love oil! I have a dry scalp and my hair easily gets dry, so the best thing for it is oil. I like to use Olive oil, Argan oil, and Jojoba oil.
8. If you could merge two brands of products to make your perfect product, which two would it be?
I would combine Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Devacurl’s Ultra Defining Gel
9. What is your go-to hair style when you're in a rush?
A low bun for sure.
10. If your curly hair had a name, what would it be and why?
It would be called “Lion’s Mane”. It’s very big, thick, and orange. In fact, in my high school drama class, I played the lion’s role because of my hair.