It’s easy to fall into a negative mindset when we’re lacking motivation. I’ve shared some tips below on how I try to maintain a positive attitude.
1. Create a positive environment for yourself: physically, mentally, and socially.
Physical environment –Your physical environment affects your mood, and sometimes we’re stuck in the same four walls for work, school, etc. It gets quite redundant repeating the same thing over and over again, so try to find new approaches to getting your work done.
Mental environment –Depression and anxiety can take a toll on your mind and body. Sometimes you can drive yourself crazy if you don’t clear your thoughts! Without a positive mindset, it’s so hard to concentrate on tasks. If you’re feeling down, take a break from what you’re doing and do something that makes you happy.
Social environment – Your family and friends have a huge impact on your life, so make sure that the people you’re keeping around you are positive ones.
2. Get rid of negative people – I’m sure we’ve all had negative people in our lives at one point or another. It sucks when the negative ones are family and friends and you have to decide whether you want to keep them in your life or cut them off. You’ll find when you hang around negative people, you also start to become negative yourself. However, once you remove them from your life, you’ll feel so much more free. Make it a point to hang out with like-minded people because the saying is true, you are who you hang out with.
3. Get daily inspiration – When I’m trying to get out of a negative mindset, one thing I realize is that I’m lacking inspiration. Different things inspire different people, so I encourage you to go out and seek inspiration. For me, it’s watching TED Talks. Seeing other people changing and impacting the world in such positive ways inspires me to go out and do the same thing. Try talking to someone that is close to you, or journal your feelings and reflect on them every week. Letting your emotions out is so gratifying.
4. Follow your passions and dreams - I would feel so useless if I had all of these passions and dreams and did nothing about them. Everyone wants to feel great in some way; we all want to feel a sense of accomplishment. We feel productive when we get something done, whether it’s a task off of our checklist or a big project that we have. So imagine how good it feels living out all of your passions and your dreams. Of course, not everyday is going to be easy and you’re not going to feel happy all the time, but knowing what you want to do in your life while taking the steps to get there will definitely help inspire you.
5. Be true to yourself – There’s nothing worse than living your life as someone you're not. You may be able to get away with putting on a front around others, but you can't lie to yourself. There have been times in my life where I’ve chosen to be alone, rather than being around fake people and pretending to be someone else just to fit in. Changing the way you dress and talk may seem great at first because you’re gaining friends, but at the end of the day, you start to feel that lonely void inside of your heart. It's not about how many friends you have, it's about how strong the bonds are. Do the people around you truly care about you? Can you express yourself around them? No matter what people think, be yourself. At the end of the day, you only need to please yourself. I’ve spent so much of my life trying to please others and it got me nowhere. Once we stop valuing people’s opinions that don’t really matter it makes room for us to start valuing ourselves for who we are.